McEwan-Adkins believes that if intervention strategies that she describes in model 1.1 http://go.solution-tree.com/literacy/Reproducibles_40RIS.html) are implemented with fidelity, it will enable your students at risk to learn to read. The model lays out what effective instruction for at-risk students should look like.
1. I Do - (Teachers Does, Teacher Says) No longer than 5-6 minutes
2. We Do- (Teacher Says, Students Say)
3. You Do Together- (Productive Group Work)
4. You Do Alone- (Students Apply what they learned)
5. Recap- (Bring students back together for one last check for understanding)
This is a powerful model that fits directly with the "gradual release" lesson plan format. I like the fact that the author confirms that this is a great way to teach students. A big "ahhhaaa" for me was taking this model and using it in our small group interventions. Are we doing this? Do our new materials (95% group, Fundations, W.V.Phonics, etc.) fit this model?
McEwan-Adkins also lists teaching moves that are made by effective teachers. Explaining, Giving directions, modeling, reminding, guided practice, scaffolding, coaching, attributing, constructing meaning, motivating-connecting, and recapping. I have observed all of these throughout our building. From the list above, what do you think we could improve on or would you personally want to improve?
Proven presentation skills listed on pages 16 and 17. As I read through these, "Wait Time" stands out to me. When teaching, I want to move quickly from one question to another without allowing students to process what was asked. I ask the question and then call on a student immediately. By setting a procedure, (drawing sticks, cold call, etc) it allowed ample time for the students to process the question before an answer was needed.
One final quote: "Students at-risk must have differentiated, explicit,systemic, and supportive instruction in order to keep up with their average and above-average classmates."
No comments:
Post a Comment